- Have git installed and available on your path
- Open up an command prompt window (CMD.exe or cygwin's Mintty.exe)
- Create a directory where you can clone the Source Code Pro project to and change directories into it
- Clone the repository branch with the following command
git clone -b release https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-code-pro.git .
- Open a Window's explorer window to the folder where you checked out the project
- Change into the "TTF" directory
- Copy all of these files (*.ttf) files using Windows explorer to C:\Windows\Fonts\
Sunday, January 11, 2015
Monday, January 5, 2015
The case study I'm mulling over is putting together a simple list management server that allows cross-device sharing of the lists. Think grocery list/checklist application. I'm well aware there are a thousand out there, and some of them are perfect for what I need already, but I'm not doing it to re-invent the wheel. I'm doing it to learn. At this point, I can see using Java 8, with Java 7 EE, deployed on GlassFish, built using the IntelliJ IDE, on my Amazon EC2 instance. It will touch on server security, GlassFish administration, data security, and then I will develop an Android application to provide the UI that the server's REST API supports.
I'm still designing it (both in my head and on paper) and figuring out what features I want to put into the service. I'm also brushing up on what open source UML applications there are out there to support documenting the plan. I'd like to be able to treat this as a professionally developed software for my resume and portfolio, with real "customer" requirements, requirement documentation, API documentation, and security. Hopefully over the next few months I will have documented my approach on this blog, what I have learned, and then I will provide both the source code and answer any questions.
Monday, December 23, 2013
I picked up a new Nexus 7 for my own little Christmas gift. I have an Amazon Kindle Fire and find the Nexus execution to be a lot smoother, with a better default browser and much cleaner access to Android applications. It really bugs me how much the Kindle limits access to so many applications.
I've got my Twitter, Blogspot, and LinkedIn applications installed and ready to go with little to no headaches. Wish the Kindle was this easy. Well done Google!
Saturday, March 31, 2012
- 7-Zip - http://www.7-zip.org/ - A great zip utility supporting a variety of formats, including tar, tar.gz, zip, and more
- Notepad++ - http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ - Beats the old notepad and adds support for regex replacements, search in files, and a lot more.
- Launchy - http://www.launchy.net/ - A Windows utility that allows you to essentially launch applications with a hotkey and a quick search. Recommended to me by a coworker, and I'm not looking back. Very strong catalog and if it is missing something, you can add a shortcut to the programs menu in Windows, right-click launchy, select rebuild catalog, and boom!
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Monday, March 26, 2012
I have been working on clustering support for our deployments of ejabberd. Particularly, I have been trying to get the servers in our DMZ void of any and all password validation for users and the servers behind our big firewalls to be the datastores. Today I learned that while we had four nodes working, one of the rear two nodes was only able to start up if the other "master" was started. This is a poor solution for failover and creating a .999 deployment, so it had to be researched. In the end, we discovered that ejabberd is built as a list of features built on Mnesia, and if a database is stored as RAM only, then the features will wait until the remote node is available. The discovery which directed me to the solution was a simple mailing list post: http://lists.jabber.ru/pipermail/ejabberd/2009-December/005535.html.
So, lesson of the day, if your ejabberd server is starting, but none of the ports are listening, and you're not getting crash/error reports, the features are probably waiting for one of your remote nodes storing the database to come up. The fix is to configure your databases to mirror one another, particularly in the "RAM and disc copies" selections of each table.